Monday, April 22, 2013

Dream Design 21 - Sylvia Tay

It's been a bit quiet around here lately so today I am pleased to present a lovely Dream Designs post to brighten up my day and yours!  
Sylvia Tay based in Singapore is my guest today, a graphic designer with a passion for surface pattern design. I am very flattered that she has created a 'custom' design especially for this blog feature so it is her most current and favourite picece of work. Below Sylvia has explained why she has chosen to share this pattern with us and what her 'dream' product would be.




"I am a big fan of mid century modern designs and I think this influences my creations quite a bit. I tend to be graphical and illustrative in my works… things with clean lines, graphical textures and contrast appeal to me. I have created this pattern experimenting with simple circles and stripes, and I am pretty happy with how it turned out. My dream is to have a fabric collection under my name someday and I can see this pattern being applied on dresses or even Cheongsam (we call it 旗袍 "qipao" in Chinese). I imagine that on wallpaper or homewares, this pattern would also be suitable." 
At first Sylvia's patterns seem quite delicate and simple but underneath they are full of layers, shapes and movement. If you take a closer look there is a wealth of visual impact waiting to come out. She uses a mixed style of graphic and illustrative, combined with a lovely use of line work and abstract shapes. I think her colour palettes have a slightly retro feel and these colours give the designs a very dainty and elegant aspect. I can see her work fitting in perfectly with the Homeware sector and I wish her all the best in her 'dream' to have her own fabric label! You can see more of her work on her lovely blog or catch up with more of her fabric designs in her Spoonflower shop here.

I apologize to Sylvia on keeping her waiting so long for this post, she has been very patient and I hope she enjoys the final outcome. Your designs are super Sylvia...Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. Oh that's a good dream sylvia, and a nice pattern. Thanks Dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am very happy and thrilled to be featured on Dream Designs! Was really looking forward to it, thanks so much for having me, Dawn! xx Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really lovely design Sylvia. Love all the intricate shapes x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the Dress. Style reminds me of one I wore many years ago.x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your lovely comments, it is so nice to be back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely design, love the colour combination x

    ReplyDelete